Whether you are young or young at heart, Halloween is a time to create some great memories. But, it can also turn into a tragedy if you don’t follow some simple fire safety rules. Here are tips from the NFPA that you can share with your customers to help keep them safe.
- Decorations are the first thing to ignite in 900 reported home fires each year. Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper are highly flammable. Keep these and other decorations away from all open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs and heaters.
- It is safest to use a flashlight or battery-operated candles in a jack-o-lantern. If you use a real candle, use extreme caution. Make sure children are watched at all times when candles are lit. When lighting candles inside jack-o-lanterns, use long fireplace-style matches or a utility lighter. Be sure to place lit pumpkins well away from anything that can burn and far enough out of way of trick-or-treaters, doorsteps, walkways and yards.
- Keep exits clear of decorations, so nothing blocks escape routes.
- Be sure children know how to stop, drop and roll if their clothing catches fire. (Have them practice stopping immediately, dropping to the ground, covering their face with hands, and rolling over and over.)
- Use flashlights as alternatives to candles or torch lights when decorating walkways and yards. They are much safer for trick-or-treaters, whose costumes may brush against the lighting.
- If your children are going to Halloween parties, have them look for ways out of the home and plan how they would get out in an emergency.
Have a Safe and Happy Halloween!